The Commission is a statutory authority under the purview of the Ministry of Trade and Industry composed of five Commissioners appointed by the President, and headed by a Chairperson. Its functions are, among other things:
- To inquire into suspected breaches of the prohibition of restrictive agreements falling within the provisions of sections 25 and 26 of the Act;
- To undertake investigation of a matter falling within the provisions of section 29 to 32 of the Act;
- To authorize the collection of information needed for assessment of cases;
- To conduct hearings with interested persons or parties;
- To determine and impose penalties or appropriate remedies to ensure businesses comply with prohibited restrictive practices, and monitor compliance;
- To advocate for competition in The Gambia;
- To conduct studies on the effectiveness of competition in sectors of the Gambian economy.
- Advising on any public sector action which may affect competition adversely.